Puppy Linux 4.00Τεχνολογία » Software » Λειτουργικά Συστήματα » Linux - 04/05/2008
Έξι μήνες μετά την τελευταία επίσημη κυκλοφορία του Puppy Linux, επιτέλους κυκλοφόρησε η νέα έκδοση, 4. Όμως η αναμονή φαίνεται πως άξιζε τον κόπο, για την μινιμαλιστική διανομή που πιάνει μόνο 87.1 MB χώρο!
Η νέα έκδοση περιέχει όλους τους driver που χρειάζεται για να μπορείτε να χρησιμοποιήσετε scanners, digital cameras και εκτυπωτές (Gutenprint), ενώ λειτουργούν άψογα οι δυνατότητες audio recording/editing/conversion, καθιστώντας το Puppy ένα ιδανικό multimedia περιβάλλον.
Η διανομή, λόγω του μικρού της μεγέθους και των χαμηλών απαιτήσεων, είναι ιδανική για παλιότερα μηχανήματα, για troubleshooting λειτουργικό σύστημα ή για εγκατάσταση σε usb stick. Βέβαια μπορείτε να το χρησιμοποιήσετε και για βασικό λειτουργικό σύστημα, αφού σε ένα νέο μηχάνημα απλά είναι άπιαστο σε ταχύτητα και επιδόσεις.
Οι σημειώσεις κυκλοφορίας αναφέρουν τα παρακάτω:
- Puppy 3.01 was built from Slackware-12 binary packages, however to reduce the size 4.00 has been totally compiled from source, using the T2-project. Thus, less dependencies (smaller size) and later versions of packages than 3.01. read more
- GTK1 and Tcl/Tk abandoned. The decision was made to go for a totally GTK2-based system. This meant that there could be a consistent user-interface throughout and further reduced the size. It also meant that GTK2 replacements had to be found for some applications. read more
- Exciting new GTK2 applications: ePDFView (PDF viewer), Pschedule (cron GUI), Osmo (personal organiser), Pcdripper (audio CD ripper), RipOff (audio CD ripper), mhWaveEdit (audio editor), Pburn (CD/DVD burner), MTR (traceroute), Pnethood (Samba client), Pwireless (wireless scanner), pStopWatch (stopwatch), HomeBank (personal finances), ExpenseTracker (personal finances), ChmSee (CHM help viewer), Gmeasures (units converter), Fotox (image viewer), Gwhere (disk catalogger), Prename (batch file renamer), gFnRename (batch file renamer), Pfind (file search), Pprocess (process manager), Chtheme (GTK theme chooser), HardInfo (hardware information), PcurlFtp (simple network file sharing) read more, Pidgin (multiprotocol chat client), Gadm-Rsync (GUI for rsync), Wireless Autoconnect, Gtkam (digital camera interface), Xsane (scanner interface), Figaro's Password Manager 2, HotPup (drive icons on desktop). Note, this is not a complete list nor in any particular order.
- I could not find a GTK2 GUI frontend for 'xset' (configure X mouse, keyboard screen), so I wrote 'pupX' read more.
- Scanner support is now built-in to the 'standard' live-CD. This is the full SANE driver library and Xsane GUI.
- Digital camera support is now built-in to the 'standard' live-CD. This is Gtkam GUI and libgphoto2 with the complete set of drivers.
- Theming of GTK, JWM window manager and desktop background has been totally revised. Under the 'Desktop' menu are 'Chtheme GTK theme chooser', 'Desktop icon switcher' read more, 'JWM configuration' read more, and 'Wallpaper setter', for easy manipulation of all aspects of appearance.
- A new theme. I created 'Gradient-grey' theme for GTK and 'Gradient-grey' for JWM. Along with a nice background picture, these are the default in 4.00.
- Numerous hardware-related and system-related improvements: automatic selection of native resolution for LCD monitors, 'fast boot' speeds bootup read more read more read more, improved timezone setting read more, Network Wizard bugfixes read more read more read more read more read more, Xorg Wizard bugfixes read more read more, read more, improvements to the Universal Installer read more, bugfixes to PETget (package installer).
- Pmount, the drive mounter, has been completely rewritten. The underlying scripts probepart and probedisk also rewritten, and Pmount can be switched to mut2, an alternative underlying "engine" read more read more. Also included is HotPup, convenient drive mounting icons on the desktop read more.
- PETget is the package manager for Puppy. Puppy has PET packages, which have .pet filename extension. The main GUI window of PETget has received a total overhaul, with package categories and multiple repositories read more.
- We have been doing a lot of work to improve modem detection and auto-configuration, for those still on Internet dialup. This Puppy has lots of "software" modem drivers built-in read more read more. Many improvements to PupDial (GUI for wvdial) read more read more read more.
- Unified /dev/sd* and /dev/sr* drive naming support. Puppy now supports the libata PATA/SATA mode of newer Linux kernels, in which SATA, SCSI, IDE and USB drives all have the same /dev/sd* naming (and /dev/sr* for optical drives). All scripts in Puppy can automatically handle both the new and old systems, so Puppy can be built with either type of kernel with no hassles whatsoever.
- Useful new utilities: dmidecode read more, asapm battery monitor read more, gtklogfileviewer read more, mut2 read more, waitmax read more, absvolume read more, full df utility, rsync, xclip read more, dpkg-deb read more, zdump read more.
- The kernel is 220.127.116.11, exactly the same as used in Puppy 3.01. Only change is the Squashfs module is upgraded from v3.2 to v3.3. Any modules compiled in Puppy 3.01 should work in 4.00. Note, an alternative build with 2.6.25 kernel is available, see below.
- Many bugfixes and minor improvements. Some are mentioned above, many more not explicitly mentioned here but can be found by reading through my Developer News. One little bugfix that has afflicted all previous puppies is a problem with Type1 fonts read more. Another that also has been in all prior puppies are "zombie processes" that prevent a partition from unmounting read more.
Μπορείτε να το κατεβάσετε από εδώ.
|Tags: puppy linux, linux, puppy, gnu, open source, GTK.
Προσθήκη άρθρου σε: Freestuff | Del.icio.us | | | | ForaCamp (top)